25 years as a para-professional dancer taught me several things:
- Know your stuff BEFORE you get on stage;
- Expect the Director to realize the day of the show he/she wants to CHANGE some aspect of the performance because suddenly they don’t like it;
- Inevitably a performer gets sick or injured resulting in FURTHER changes where YOU having to step in for them at the last minute;
- Some little kid drops gum on stage even after you have told them no chewing gum while performing. Now you have to subtly sweep it up so a pointe shoe dancer doesn’t fall to her death.
- Oh yeah… the show must go on.